Tuesday 6 August 2013

Shaded valleys, wild goats, rocky coves and being brave.

My friend Miss L. was here to visit and it was an amazing few days. Luckily I had fairly self sufficient guests so that left me able to really take advantage of having a visitor here, to act like a visitor myself. Several times on our magical mystery tours I felt like I too was on holiday.

We visited: Palma, the cathedral, the modern art museum, several cake shops and ate the most divine meringue in one of them. Inca. Lluc, with it's beautiful wee botanic garden and tiny blue butterflies. We hiked the Boquer valley and then swam in the crystalline sea and if we'd had sandwiches I sure would have shared mine with the wild goats that came to say hello. We went to the beach, out for drinks, took siestas in the air conditioned living rooms and had wonderful dinners out. One place we went to, on a whim of mine, a real spur of the moment thing, was one of my faves from last year that I had yet to revisit, it is called Bellaverde and it is like an oasis, I call it the secret garden. It is a luscious vegetarian/vegan restaurant where you sit in a magical courtyard under fig trees and the cats and dogs wander free, my idea of heaven basically.

I did something there which was quite bold! I caught the eye of a handsome chap, looked a bit like a surf bum with lovely sun bleached hair.We exchanged a few smiles during the course of our respective dinners and then came the time to leave. Could I muster up the courage to speak to him before I left? Sadly no. I left and as I walked out, we waved at each other. Buoyed by this action I decided I couldn't let the moment pass me by. I mean how many times in life have you caught someone's eye or exchanged a smile and thought, if I could just say hello then I could find out what an interesting person this is and explore whatever it is that made us smile at each other? I've thought that before but this time I didn't want to walk away wondering. I had a pen in my bag and Miss L. had an old business card, I wrote down my name and number and here's where my courage ran out...but Miss L. was on hand to see the plan through. She marched in there and gave him the card "from my friend" she said and he smiled.

I met him for a drink the following night and for dinner the night after that and hopefully we'll meet many more times....








Popular Posts