Saturday 3 November 2012

Inter-season travellings part deux


On to the Southern part of my inter-season travels and my first stop was ex-ville. Plan was to clear my crap out of the attic, but guess what? I’ve got a lot of crap and I know that if I actually got rid of it, that deep down TD would be really sad, cos then he wouldn’t have that to hold over me and tease me about! Anyway TD, been giving it some thought and who knows, maybe one day I’ll actually get round to writing the book that you keep pestering me about.....

The castle was next, glorious in its autumn foliage and the stable was cosy and welcoming as usual. ‘Trine’s room’ had been upgraded with a delightful double bed, C & D need to be careful, make it any more welcoming and they might have trouble getting rid of me next time! At the castle with my dear C & D I always relax and feel like part of the family; pyjama days watching Downton Abbey; leisurely pottering around C’s awesome kitchen baking a cake for them as they’re out at work; stressing with C as we sat on the edge of our seats watching Homeland; great food, great friends, great times!  My only complaint to the management would be that my pal Whinnie wasn’t there this time. She’d been on Skye all summer, good for her, but I missed her on my visit. I look forward to seeing her when I return in May, yay!!



From the country retreat I went to the town pied-a-terre with D & D. It’s marvellous having so many lovely friends with spare rooms! Again I did some baking, trying out my new winter recipe of hummingbird cake, I like to make treats for those who take me in. We had a cheese fondue night, nom nom, a taste of what’s to come (though actually I only had one fondue all last season!! Maybe this season I can convince folk to go for a fondue/raclette at L'Etale with me. Any takers? 247Snowman?!). Caught up with lots of peeps whilst in the Wells, super nice to see everyone and how things are developing; babies growing up – so fast, babies arriving soon, wedding plans in full swing, ceramics flourishing, jobs going well etc. etc. etc. It’s lovely to catch up with folks and hear about all that’s going on and to re-fresh friendships. It warms me inside to know that good friends are always still there, so long as you put a bit of effort in, you can keep hold of those that are special to you.

I also spent some time with my sisters and their families. Doesn’t time fly? I mean when there aren’t little people in your life I don’t think you necessarily appreciate just how quickly time passes. When I see my nephews and my niece it really hits home that time is flying past. My oldest nephew is about to turn 19. 19!!! At the risk of sounding like one of those ‘old’ people, I remember when he was just tiny and I was living with him and my sister at the time, he was such a little cutie pie. He still is of course, but he’s 19 now. My niece is amazing and I don’t doubt for a second that should she attempt it, she would achieve world domination. I am in awe of her. I had a great time with ALL of them, and look forward to seeing them again when I’m back. I am aware that I need to make a bigger effort with all the kids, because before you know it they turn 19 and aren’t kids anymore!!  

And so we conclude the Southern UK part of my trip. Kindly Miss L drove me to the airport; I can’t thank her enough as the journey on the train would’ve been a ball ache with my luggage. She drove me to the bus last winter, the bus that carried me to the Alps, when I was starting my journey and then here we are again almost a year on and I’m still on the journey. How things have changed in the last year, how much this journey has done for me... That’s a deep thought to ponder. Anyway, next stop my motherland, Denmark.

Popular Posts