Saturday 3 November 2012

Angels, bridges (inc. Oresund), wind turbines, Danish pastry and the C word

I’m on my way to Copenhagen from Nibe, where I’ve been staying with my Dad and his gf Glaucia. I left their apartment at 7am this morning and I won’t get to where I’m going until about 9-10pm. It’s going to be a long day! Currently I’m on a train journey that’s going to take 5 hours and 20 minutes. Plenty of time to sit and think, and to see the beautiful Danish countryside as we chug through it. I’ve not seen as many cows as I’d like to have seen so far, that saddens me. I have however seen lots of wind turbines and that makes me happy.

I was born in Denmark and my parents left when I was 1 and half or 2. I’d been here for Christmas when I was 6 and then for a christening when I was 18. That’s it. That doesn’t add up to a whole lot of time. Since my Mum passed I don’t really speak Danish to anyone, the lingo is very rusty indeed. So rusty was it that when I met Christian this summer, I insisted that we should speak English! Now however, I would be so bold as to actually have a conversation in my mother tongue. It’s cool really how from the depths of my little peanut brain came this language that I thought had long left. I’ve chatted away quite happily to folk during my Danish dash, some times less eloquently than I perhaps would like but it’s made me happy! So I’ve decided that I should come back really soon and travel around a bit. I’d like to explore the country I’ve seen whizzing by outside my train window today.

The reason for my being here of course is that my Dad is here receiving treatment for his bowel cancer. The C word. That horrible C word that will affect 1 in 3 of us. If I should become that 1 in 3 then I hope that I will be able to fight it like my Dad has. So far he’s had 4 chemo sessions and it looks like that might be the worst of it over and done with. For a cancer patient he looks amazing, the hair loss was hardly an issue as he basically only had a handful of hairs on his head anyway! He’s looked after himself so well over the last few years and I think that has given him a real boost in dealing with this sickness. He’s not lost weight or his appetite which is great. His nurses all loved him and the last time he had chemo they all came in to say goodbye and to thank him for being such a great patient and that he’d been a breath of fresh air for them. That’s my pops, always making friends along the way. One of his nurses came in one day and asked him to please tell her his life story. She took time out from her busy day to sit and chat and listen, I love that. He’s done amazingly well and I know he’s not out of the woods yet, still a way to go and who knows what will happen in the future, but for the moment I feel so insanely happy that he is doing well and it certainly looks like he is on the way to recovery.

Those of you that know me will know that I think organised religion is a bunch of baloney. I am a ‘spiritual’ person though, for want of a better word. Glaucia received an email from a friend, one of those chain type emails that you’re supposed to forward on and you’ll be blessed somehow, you know the ones. Well I must admit the ones people send me usually end up in the trash cos I kinda think that if some God is going to bless me, it probably won’t be via email! This email said some Angels would visit us, can’t remember all their names but I know Gabriel was among them and Metatron (which is the cool cos it’s like a Transformers name!!). Anyway, this morning as I got in the taxi and drove away from Dad’s, a song came on the radio; it was ‘I Have a Dream' by ABBA, the chorus starts: I Believe in Angels. No, I'm not converted or anything of the sort, I just thought it was kinda funny/odd/relevant and I must admit it did make me slightly emotional. Sometimes things like that happen, don’t they?

Right then, I'm going to sit back and relax now. Next stop, Kastrup airport then Geneva airport and then the Alps. Mountains here I come!

Things I saw in DK:



A fox. Or rather what a fox used to wear. In the window of a charity shop. Did you know Denmark's number one export to China is fur? Bet you didn't. Not something that I personally would be proud of.




A place to leave your dog outside the supermarket. Love it. 

Kanelsnegle. Authentic Danish pastry. Perfect with a cup of tea after a bracing walk in the harbour wearing  your Sarah Lund sweater.




Popular Posts